The 3rd Annual TWG Fiction Contest is open for submissions!
Deadline: Postmarked by Tuesday, October 27, 2009
1st Place: $250.00 from UNBC and paid publication in Northword Magazine.
2nd Place: $150.00 from Marion Olson of Re/Max and author’s name and story title published in Northword Magazine.
3rd Place: $75.00 from saz communications and author’s name and story title published in Northword Magazine.
Rules and guidelines:
1. All submissions must be written by individuals currently living in Northern British Columbia—that’s any community north of Quesnel, including the Queen Charlotte Islands.
2. No entry fee is required, and all story rights remain with the author. All genres are welcome, but sorry, no poetry or stories intended for children.
3. Submissions must be between 1500 and 3000 words. Stories that do not meet this guideline will be eliminated from competition.
4. All works must be original and free of plagiarism (which includes third-party poetry, song lyrics, characters, etc., without written permission). The contest’s audience is the general public, so excessive violence or sex, determined by the judges, will result in
disqualification. Entries may not have been previously published.
5. Entries should be typed in 12-font, double spaced in black ink on white paper, and must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author’s name, contact information, and an approximate word count. Every subsequent page must carry the title and a page number, but the author’s name must be deleted in order for fair judging. Any submissions not meeting these guidelines will be disqualified.
6. Manuscripts will be destroyed after judging. A #10 (business size) self-addressed, stamped envelope must be included with the entry in order to receive judging results. Entrants may choose to not send an SASE, in which case winners may be viewed by visiting this website after December 31st, 2009.
Please mail submissions to:
TWG FICTION CONTEST
PO BOX 1046
Winners will be notified by December 15th, 2009
No email submissions will be accepted. For more information, e-mail here.
On behalf of Terrace Writers’ Guild and all the writers up here in Northern BC that benefit from the inspiration and motivation this contest provides, I’d like to express a tonne of appreciation to our generous sponsors: Northword Magazine, UNBC, Marion Olson, and saz communications.